michael

Walter Harley wrote:

Thanks to everyone's help here, I bought an Enco 4" milling vise. I
unbolted it from its swivel base, since it's one more thing to not be true
and it steals precious inches of height (I have a small mill/drill without
much vertical clearance).

I want to mount the vise directly onto my mill/drill table. But after
removing it from the base, there are two rectangular keys protruding from
its bottom, about 1/2" square by 1" long. The keys are held in with bolts,
but they also appear to be held in by punching the join between the key and
the casting. When I remove the bolts, the keys still won't come out, even
if I whack them laterally with a mallet (using a piece of wood to avoid
denting anything). I didn't try whacking with all my might.

What's the right way to remove these, without damaging anything?

Try a piece of brass and a BFH. Or maybe a piece of round stock fit into
the bolt hole to pry it out.

michael