Alan Van Art

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure I see how that could obtain the
same result. How would you turn the flat between the beads?

I also wanted to ask you, Dan... I see your email address is at PSU,
do you live in or near State College? I'm in Burnham (next to
Lewistown). Is there an active group of woodturners around this area?
I was looking for a local AAW chapter, but the closest I could come
was Harrisburg. I've been dying to get some semi-formal instruction,
but have been unable to 'turn' anything up in our remote corner of the
country.

Dan Kozar wrote in message ...
In article OKRWc.8212$VY.7200@trndny09,
"Alan Van Art" wrote:

OK, I feel really stupid asking this, but please, cut a newbee a break. I've
tried twice with two different parting tools to make a honey dipper, and it
still comes out looking awkward. After the first one, I realized my parting
tool was a bit wide, about 3/16 of an inch. So I tried one a little thinner.
I'm trying to get five cuts separated by the width of the tool in about
1-1/2 inches. So far, I've only gotten 4 cuts. Should I be looking for a
parting tool that's thinner yet?

Hi Alan,

You have a couple of options, You could get one of the 1/16" parting
tools, or you could just turn a series of beads, and forget parting
tools all together.