Phil Young

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 22:18:54 +0000, spa wrote:

Hi,

I've checked out previous posts on uk.d-i-y but I'm still a bit unclear.
The original mortar sealing around my window frames (original c.1900
sash and bay windows) has cracked and fallen out in several places, so I
have removed the mortar as part of overhauling the windows.

Looking through various posts, some people are advocating using frame
sealant, others recommend using mortar, whilst some suggest using a
combination. What should I be using for my windows?

Thanks,

Steve.

I'm just completing more or less the same process. I ended up with a gap
between the brickwork and the frame that varies between about 7 to 10mm.
What I did was to fill this with mortar (1:4.5 masonry cement:sand) using
a dry mixture (to avoid it flowing out of the 6 ft verticals and the
upside-down bit at the top) and a pointing trowel. This mix is
(supposedly) equivalent to the 1:1:6 OPC:lime:sand mix usually suggested.

If it eventually shrinks back and opens a crack between the window and the
mortar, I'll follow up with a bead of frame sealant.

However, the problem I have is that a hairline crack has opened between
the new mortar and the brickwork in some areas. Is this because I was
using a dry mixture over the hot weekend and it's dried out too quickly ?
Is there anything I can do about this apart from chisel it out and try
again ? Sealant wouldn't look right here.

Cheers,

Phil Young