Alan James

"John Miller" wrote in message
Further to the bathroom renovation, I need to fit a shower

mixer
(Triton Aire bar type). The instructions call for it to be
connected to a half inch BSP female fitting where the face of

the
fitting is flush with the finished (tiled) surface. It's

going onto
a dry lined wall and I intend to run the supply pipes up the

wall
from the floor. My problem is that a standard BSP elbow

fitting is
too short to reach through the plasterboard and tiles and a

standard
soldered elbow plus straight BSP connector will be far too

long.
Approximate distance from solid wall to tiled surface will be

40mm.
Anybody got any experience of this or could offer any

suggestions -
it must be a common problem. Only solution I can see is to

cut the
plasterboard and tile over the gap, but I'm not very happy

about
doing this.

I note that Screwfix have a special fitting for bar mixers -
somebody else asked about these recently, but I can't recall

seeing
any replies. Does anybody know whether these fittings would

help?

I've fitted a couple of Screwfix bar mixers which look similar though the
shower fitting is 3/4 BSP female. There was a 3/4 to 1/2inch cranked
adapter which was best discarded. Check out if a 22mm street elbow (BES
6851) plus solder to BSP male (BES 6836) is compact enough. Don't think you
can get less. A problem which you don't mention is that the bar fitting
relies on the pipe fixings for strength. You need to fix the pipes firmly
to the wall behing before plasterboarding in which case you can chase out
sufficient depth.

If the Triton shower really requires to be connected to a half inch BSP
female fitting as you say then I'm stumped how it can ever be tightened.

Alan