Michael Mcneil

"spam" wrote in message
news:8df1e08a5698a1bf43835d4ef2aca04a@localhost

The original mortar sealing around my window frames (original c.1900 sash
and bay windows) has cracked and fallen out in several places, so I have
removed the mortar as part of overhauling the windows.

Looking through various posts, some people are advocating using frame
sealant, others recommend using mortar, whilst some suggest using a
combination. What should I be using for my windows?

There shouldn't be too much space between the frame and the brickwork as
the outside lining is part of a box that holds a sliding mechanism and
space is a premium.

You may find silicon effective but if there is a larger than normal
space mortar is the more effective filler.