John Miller

"Adrian Berry" wrote in
message ...

Sorry, bit of an untidy post - correction below......

"Adrian Berry" wrote in

message

"John Miller" wrote in message
Further to the bathroom renovation, I need to fit a shower

mixer
(Triton Aire bar type). The instructions call for it to be
connected to a half inch BSP female fitting where the face of

the
fitting is flush with the finished (tiled) surface. It's

going onto
a dry lined wall and I intend to run the supply pipes up the

wall
from the floor. My problem is that a standard BSP elbow

fitting is
too short to reach through the plasterboard and tiles and a

standard
soldered elbow plus straight BSP connector will be far too

long.
Approximate distance from solid wall to tiled surface will be

40mm.
Anybody got any experience of this or could offer any

suggestions -
it must be a common problem. Only solution I can see is to

cut the
plasterboard and tile over the gap, but I'm not very happy

about
doing this.

I note that Screwfix have a special fitting for bar mixers -
somebody else asked about these recently, but I can't recall

seeing
any replies. Does anybody know whether these fittings would

help?

John Miller

15mm compression fittings have a 1/2" BSP thread, so how about

removing the
nut from a FI coupler (Screwfix 12341 or what I think you are

calling a
straight BSP connector ) and screwing it into a wall plate elbow

(screwfix
17416) fixed to the solid wall. Haven't got the bits to hand

right now to
check but I think the distance is approximately correct and the

wall plate
could always be packed out from or chased into the solid wall to

tweak the
level. If you use enormous quantities of PTFE tape between the

two bits,
you can make a watertight seal by screwing the fitting only

partially into
the wall plate, just as you would with a bib tap in order to get

it
vertically aligned - this would give a further adjustment.

HTH
Adrian

Thanks Adrian

I did wonder whether the fittings might work as you suggest, but
didn't have any to experiment with. I'll get a wall plate and give
it a go. Incidentally, I emailed Screwfix about their fitting kit,
but they were unable to provide details and have referred me to
their supplier. I'm a bit surprised by that, but may give it a go.
Thanks again.

John Miller