William R. Walsh

Hi!

I bought a Magnavox 19" table top TV set in very similar condition to your
set...it has a large "crink" in the casing at the upper left of the tube.
The case isn't shattered or even broken, it's just compressed. I guess the
thing took quite a fall and when I was considering buying it, the picture
was all purple. The price was right, and the reseller offered a four year
guarantee that made the total just shy of what a new in the box set would
have cost. I bought the set and still use it daily.

Going over the screen with a tape head demagnetizer (all I had at the time)
brought back perfect color. It appears that the set's built in degaussing
coil is not working. Every now and then the picture will start to discolor,
especially after I've moved my TV cart around. I just take a few minutes to
degauss it once again and all is well.

After 6 weeks of flawless operation, all of a sudden, on one morning,

after
turning on TV, I noticed severe colour distortion. I originally thought it
must have problems with antennas. I switched on DVD player and put the TV

on
AV. The same problem remained. Then I switched off the DVD player

completely
and the screen is supposed to go black. However, I noticed big red dot in
the middle of the screen, with blue colour circling the red dot, which is

in
turn encircled by yellow circle.

I wouldn't think that the tube could suddenly be damaged like that,
especially if it hasn't seen any more abuse since you bought it. You might
have a chance that like mine, your TV's built in degaussing coil has failed
to work.

You might try getting ahold of a degaussing tool somewhere and trying it.
You might get lucky and the set will be fine.

William