Stacey Higginbotham

Default Energy Efficiency Ratings - Ovens

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote in message ...
In article ,
fred writes:

It's a guide, but it seems a bit unfair. eg all 'medium' sized ovens (35-65
litres) are grouped together so larger ones within the group which will need
more energy will look less 'efficient' than a smaller one in the same group.

Indeed. It will cost me more to cook one chicken drumstick in
a big oven than a small oven, so big ones are less efficient.

Thanks for the replies! I've not got a newsreader, so I've got to post
through Google so I only get one shot per day at this...

I see what's going on now: The oven that is rated A/B has a main oven
capacity of 47 (A rating) and a secondary oven of 35 (B Rating). The
C/C oven has a 65/32 split. To a layman like myself this seems
ridiculous - the energy efficiency ratings don't seem to be done on
energy efficiency at all, the 32 litre oven will, 99% of the time, be
using less energy than the 35 litre one yet it gets a worse rating! If
the ratings start becoming more widely used it will mean that the
manufacturers just have to fiddle their ovens round the size
limitations (ie increase the capacity by 3 litres in the secondary
oven and 1(!) litre in the main oven and bingo - you've created an A/A
rated oven - that is less energy efficient than it used to be!

Thanks again for the replies.