DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Reorganizing a shop recently bought up questions concerning how to get
more efficient storage around a bench top horizontal mill, in this
case a Burke #4 horizontal mill. Any number of similar benchtop mills,
both horizontal and vertical, could benefit from this.

[ ... ]

I would be interested in hearing what and how other HSMers have done
to provide efficient storage for all those arbors, index heads,
collets, end mill holders, etc. that are used. I would also like to
hear from anyone who has incorporated this storage in a cabinet or
stand that also allows for the horizontal mill itself to sit on.

Well ... mine is not quite that small. It is a Nichols
horizontal mill, and comes with its own base as part of it (not bolted
together, but a part of the casting). Of course, it provides no storage
for tooling.

I happen to have it beside a bench which has a DiAcro 24" finger
brake mounted facing away from it.

So -- for most of the time, there are two of the fiberglass
storage racks for 40-taper tooling. This holds some of the sorter tools
closer to the back of the brake (except when I am using it), and some of
the longer items (including arbors) on the side away from the brake.

If I have to use the brake, I have to move the two racks, but
the rest of the time, it is a big help.

The wrenches need to be balanced nearby, with no real place to
properly hang them.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564