Andy Hall

On 22 Aug 2004 08:50:42 -0700, (Lynne
Chapman) wrote:

We're about to install a new en-suite bathroom ourselves, but to gain
the space to do this we need to lose our hot water tank and re-site
the boiler. As the boiler is 15 years old we're happy to replace it
and it's been sugggested that we install a condensing combi boiler.
But on doing some research I have found lots of differing opinions as
to the suitability of a combi boiler. My mum's had one for 16 years
and loves it.
We live in a 5 bedroomed 3 reception house with one bathroom and a
downstairs loo. The bathroom has an electric shower which we would
keep. The new ensuite is to have a sink, toilet and shower, to run off
of the new boiler. There are just the 2 of us in the house as the kids
have (nearly) left home, and we use the shower regularly and the bath
very rarely. We also have a washing machine and dishwasher.
Please could anyone advise me as to whether a combi boiler would be Ok
for us, and advice gratefully received. We are also considering
installing a water softener at the same time.
Thanks
Lynne

From what you say, Lynne, this sounds reasonable.

The things to consider a

- Is the water flow good enough? Check it at the kitchen tap by
timing how long it takes to fill a container of known size. If you
are getting at least 20 litres per minute, then it should be adequate,
although 30 would be better.. If it's only 10-12 then it is not.

- Do you think it's possible that the bathroom shower will be switched
over to running from the boiler in the period of time that you expect
to stay in the house or that if this is a shortish term that you might
want to upgrade the bathroom to perhaps improve saleability?
This turns it into a two shower requirement, especially if the house
becomes more populated after a sale.

The first of these points is a go/no go for using any form of mains
fed hot water, including a combi (although some can be run from a roof
tank. and you'd still save the cylinder space).
You can potentially get the water service pipe from the road upgraded
if the flow is poor, but that depends on what the main there can de
and can be costly.

The second point is on sizing. It would make sense to go for a
28-30kW (at least) output boiler to provide adequate capacity in case
you do need to account for additional requirements. On the heating
side it doesn't matter about possible oversizing because they self
adjust (modulate) down to the requirement at any point in time.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl