Bob Edwards

(Fdmorrison) wrote in message ...
(Bob Edwards)

Here's how they were doing it by the early 19th century:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/a-m_file_cutter.JPG

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...le_cutter2.JPG

Not sure of the exact date, but early 1800's, possibly before.

A wonderfully wrought device; seems to be a direct replacement of hammer and
hand. Do you have any history--who/where/how is it known to have been used for
files (other than that the toolbit seems right)?

Frank:

It's on display at the Musee des Artes and Metiers in Paris, France in
their machinery hall as an example of an early filemaking machine.
They actually have a file blank clamped on the machine bed and cut
about half-way down the length, to show how it operates.

You are right, it seems to be a "direct" implementation of the manual
process, which also suggests an early machine. However, it does have
adjustable pitch, adjustable stroke length, and several other
adjustments that I couldn't make out what they do. I'd love to see it
working.

Regards,

Bob