Mary Fisher

Default Putting a double glazed pane in an old frame

"jacob" wrote in message
m...
Heat loss through windows rule of thumb is about 10%.
Double glazing halves this and so saves 5% of heating component of
fuel bills.
Typically about £500 p.a. hence saving £25 p.a. Really not worth the
bother.

There are other considerations than cost, even if your figures were
universally accurate.

Add in rapid obsolescence of DG units makes it very costly - they all
mist up eventually.

Not in my experience. It probably depends on the quality of the original
units.

Better to increase loft insulation, reduce draughts,

thicker curtains

During the day?

Double glazing increases the comfort of a house, you can sit (as we do)
close to uncurtained windows on the coldest of days and still be
comfortable.

Down draughts from single glazed windows can be shown by holding a candle
flame near to them. The candle will flicker and gutter, it won't with an
efficiently double glazed window.

etc etc. Cheaper to install new gas condensing CH boiler will save
much more.
Double glazing expensive con.

That depends on who does it. If you do it yourself (this IS a DIY ng) it is
not expensive and you have control of the whole process.

Yes, efficient insulation and draughtproofing are very important in the
whole scheme of things but you won't dissuade me about the desirability of
dg.

You seem to either believe what you have no experience of or have had an
unfortunate experience. It's not everyone's experience.

Mary