Simon Avery

Default Need advice on covering shower drain pipe in floor

Mike Norris wrote:

Hello Mike

MN| Qustions are
MN| Would it be safe just putting some concrete down this pipe,
MN| as there must be a bend somewhere just below the
MN| surface? Should I cap it off with something and then

Don't pour concrete down without first wedging something a few inches
down to block it. A bundle of rags rammed into place is ok - but DO
check it's not a straight drop into your 4" sewer outlet, and if it
takes more cement that you thought, don't keep piling it in.

MN| concrete over that? I need to cover it as the shower cubicle
MN| area is about half an inch lower than the rest of the room.

Why not just cover the hole with a thin piece of board then fill the
whole depression?

MN| The main points are that the whole of the room is a concrete
MN| floor with quarry tiles over most of it. I was planning to
MN| level everywhere to the same height as the quarry tiles and
MN| then lino the whole room.

Lino over quarry tiles? Not my choice...

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK
uk.d-i-y FAQ: http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/