Sunworshipper

On 21 Aug 2004 13:29:14 -0700, (Bob
Edwards) wrote:

"Robert Swinney" wrote in message ...
Check one of Lindsay's books, "English and American Toolbuilders". Files,
going back many hundreds of years were made by gouging each line with a
chisel. As far as I know, files have only been machine made for the last
150 years or so.

Bob Swinney
"ken" wrote in message
om...
I started to wonder how tey did things that far back. Like how did
they make files? I've looked around the internet and found just about
nothing. I have only a limited amount of available tim eon computer so
has anybody found an links?

Here's how they were doing it by the early 19th century:

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/a-m_file_cutter.JPG

http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/...le_cutter2.JPG

Not sure of the exact date, but early 1800's, possibly before.

(these are pretty large .jpg files, it will take a while if you are on dial-up)

Regards,

Bob

Those are very cool pictures. I'd love to see the machine in person.