Owain

"Mike" wrote
I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house.
My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my
home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the
annual cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a
net cost of about $45.00 a year.
Any personal experiences (good or bad) with these systems?

To benefit from the alarm discount on the insurance, very often the
insurance company will deny any claim for theft from intruders if the
alarm is not activated. So pop across the road to a neighbour for a
few seconds (or possibly even just into the back garden) leaving the
alarm off, and an opportunist thief reaches through an open window or
walks in and out, and you aren't covered for the theft. Could cost you
a lot more than $45.

Owain