Mike

Default Monitored Burglar System

I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house.
My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my
home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the annual
cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a net cost of about
$45.00
a year.

Any recommendations for a good monitored system?
Does any group or publication evaluate these systems?
Any personal experiences (good or bad) with these systems?

Thanks,

Mike

Brad Bruce

Mike wrote:
I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house.
My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my
home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the annual
cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a net cost of about
$45.00
a year.

Any recommendations for a good monitored system?
Does any group or publication evaluate these systems?
Any personal experiences (good or bad) with these systems?

Thanks,

Mike

Get to know the neighborhood police officer.

I'm not joking.... They will know which INSTALLERS cause the most false
alarms. In one town ADT will have fewer false alarms. In another it
will be Brinks.

Another thing to look at is the control panel. Ask to see and get
instructions on the model of the panel that will be INSTALLED. (Beware
of "Bait and switch") You don't want to be confused when you're trying
to turn of the alarm in a hurry. (Forgetting it's armed when you're
tired and open the door to get the paper at 5am...)

Also find out how it is to add/change "guest" codes for when you have
someone house-sitting etc.

Brad

BTW: I've used ADT. The warning beep is the same tone as the keypress
on mine, so it's confusing to some people.
Colbyt

"Mike" wrote in message
I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house.
My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my
home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the annual
cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a net cost of about
$45.00
a year.

Any recommendations for a good monitored system?
Does any group or publication evaluate these systems?
Any personal experiences (good or bad) with these systems?

Thanks,

Mike

Buy your system and maybe your service separately. Package deals require
contracts.

In most parts of the US 15-18 per month is the service fee for a no contract
service.

Check out Clark Howard's website for useful information.

Colbyt

Jim Tiberio

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message

Get to know the neighborhood police officer.

I'm not joking.... They will know which INSTALLERS cause the most false
alarms. In one town ADT will have fewer false alarms. In another it
will be Brinks.

Another thing to look at is the control panel. Ask to see and get
instructions on the model of the panel that will be INSTALLED. (Beware
of "Bait and switch") You don't want to be confused when you're trying
to turn of the alarm in a hurry. (Forgetting it's armed when you're
tired and open the door to get the paper at 5am...)

Also find out how it is to add/change "guest" codes for when you have
someone house-sitting etc.

Brad

BTW: I've used ADT. The warning beep is the same tone as the keypress
on mine, so it's confusing to some people.

I just had a rather expensive motorcycle stolen from my garage. I am now
also looking at monitored systems, do you know if they have zones? What I'd
like is a system that will emit a loud siren if the garage security is
breached but won't make the entire house go off at the same time. These
scumbags obviously had time to work on the bike as it was locked up in
there.

SEPrince1

Hi All:

I used to install residental systems. To answer all your questions, yes, the
system can be armed to activate when your garage door is opened.

You should set yourself up with a good company that offers free service while
you have your system monitored with them. Most will include this in the monthly
cost or may charge you $5.00 more per month. Its worth it, changing out a
keypad alone may cost $100.00 depending on the system. Also, the big companies
(ADT) don't need your business. Your system can be down for a week before
they'll set up a service call for you. The little guy runs like hell when your
system is down. I worked for a small company (4000 accounts) and we basically
knew all our customers. When someone had a problem, we were there within 12
hours. I can't tell you how many accounts we stole from the big guys cause of
this. Ademco is also a big name in security so if your offered this equiptment
its usually pretty good.

Good luck on your search!!

Chet Hayes

"Jim Tiberio" wrote in message ...
"Brad Bruce" wrote in message

[...]

Any of the monitored systems have zones. You can have a zone for the
garage. However, what I don't understand is why you would want the
garage zone to not set off the alarm for the house when tripped. All
the systems I'm familiar with have zones that can be armed or disarmed
as you wish, but once a zone that's armed is tripped, it set off the
alarm for the entire system and it gets reported to the alarm center.
That seems very reasonable to me.
Travis Jordan

SEPrince1 wrote:
Ademco is also a big name in
security so if your offered this equiptment its usually pretty good.

Ademco is owned by Honeywell nowadays.

Travis Jordan

Brad Bruce wrote:
/snip/
Get to know the neighborhood police officer.

I'm not joking.... They will know which INSTALLERS cause the most
false alarms. In one town ADT will have fewer false alarms. In
another it will be Brinks.

Also make sure you ask the cops how MANY of each brand (ADT/Brinks/etc.)
are installed. Obviously, the more systems are installed, the more
false alarms there will be.....

Owain

"Mike" wrote
I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house.
My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my
home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the
annual cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a
net cost of about $45.00 a year.
Any personal experiences (good or bad) with these systems?

To benefit from the alarm discount on the insurance, very often the
insurance company will deny any claim for theft from intruders if the
alarm is not activated. So pop across the road to a neighbour for a
few seconds (or possibly even just into the back garden) leaving the
alarm off, and an opportunist thief reaches through an open window or
walks in and out, and you aren't covered for the theft. Could cost you
a lot more than $45.

Owain

Nick Hull

In article ,
"Mike" wrote:

I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house.
My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my
home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the annual
cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a net cost of about
$45.00
a year.

You could have a self monitored system. Mine costs just a pager and
tells ME when anything happens. No false alarms, just raw data (like
car in driveway, back door opened, movement in kitchen, etc)

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
tgilb

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
| In article ,
| "Mike" wrote:
|
| I'm looking for a monitored burglar alarm system for my house.
| My insurance agent tells me a monitored system will reduce my
| home owners insurance policy by $80.00 a year. I estimate the annual
| cost of the system will be around $125.00 a year for a net cost of about
| $45.00
| a year.
|
| You could have a self monitored system. Mine costs just a pager and
| tells ME when anything happens. No false alarms, just raw data (like
| car in driveway, back door opened, movement in kitchen, etc)
|
| --
| Free men own guns, slaves don't
| www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

The town I live in allows my alarm system dialer to phone the Police
department with a recorded message and they will respond. I needed to apply
for a free permit to do this and after 4 false alarms in a calendar year I
would have to pay a fine for every subsequent one. I also have the dialer
programmed to call both mine and my wife's cell phones.

We have ADT and they are OK. Personally, I would look into a local
place---ask to see their facility---and you will probably get better, more
personal service. I've heard good stories about local people who know their
customers and fire/police departments.

Some things you want to consider:

*Get two panels and/or remotes. You can have panels in two locations and
remotes in standard locations. If they want to charge you a lot, find
another vendor. At very least, get a panel/control center for each main
floor of living.

*The water and fire sensors are (really) the most useful. If your basement
floods, the alarm goes off, etc. Also, some have temp sensors that can tell
if your boiler if off (and you are on a cruise or something).

*Find out if your town charges for false alarms. (Mine doesn't thank god.)
For fire alarms, most send the department immediately, regardless if you
call in.

*Teach your family that if there's trouble, just walk up and smack the
emergency buttons on the panels . Then call 911.

*Call them and disable the system ANY TIME you change batteries, etc. I
guarantee you will set off the alarm occasionally.

*Stock up on sensor batteries. Nothing worse then one dying at 10 p.m. Sat.
night.

*ADT will want to slap stickers all over your windows, etc. Don't let them.
get the stickers from them and then you can control where and how they get
installed. The previous owners of my house let the bozos install them upside
down, etc.!

"Brad Bruce" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
[...]

Mike

Thius is a good thing.
A monitored system will reduce my home owners insurance by $80.00 a year
not that irt's very expensive now.

Mike

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

Jim

I'm curious about this one...

We have a monitored system (GE Concord Express) and it has the ability
to commandeer the phone line in order to dial out. If I hit the panic
buttons, I assume it will call immediately. Will it bust in on my 911
call in order to do this? (Although, police are supposed to respond to
a 911 hangup.).

Jim

Mike wrote:

*Teach your family that if there's trouble, just walk up and smack the
emergency buttons on the panels . Then call 911.

Putyourspamhere

Subject: Monitored Burglar System

reader.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giga news.com!cyclone1.gnilin
k.net!spamkiller.gnilink.net!gnilink.net!trnddc01. POSTED!7626073e!not-for-mail
From: "Mike"
Newsgroups: alt.home.repair
Date: Sat, 28 Aug 2004 12:49:51 GMT

"Colbyt" wrote in message

"Mike" wrote in message
[...]

If you want an effective monitored system make sure that is uses a dedicated
phone line which is always online to the monitoring station or a cellular link
etc. The autodialer systems that are frequently installed are disabled as
easily as cutting the phone lines. Of course that won't effect the audible alarm.
mwlogs

Yes it will. I had the fool from ADT call my 70 yr old father one time when
I was out of town to have him check why the alarm hadn't 'called home' to do
the self-test. Without warning him what it would do, or how to stop it,
they had him hit the panic button to trip the alarm. Of course with the
siren blaring he couldn't understand the idiots instructions, and before he
could get them clear the alarm cut them off and dialed in.

He finally decided to punch in the entry code, which cleared the alarm and
shut off the siren.

I gave them an ear full when I got home. I've also removed my father from
the backup call list. If they can't reach me they can't reach anyone in
these situations.

Mike wrote:

*Teach your family that if there's trouble, just walk up and smack the
emergency buttons on the panels . Then call 911.

Nick Hull

In article ,
George Wenzel wrote:

Unless you've got a REALLY high-end home full of valuables, the chances
of the phone line being cut prior to a break-in are negligible. In any
event, if somebody wants to break in, they're going to be able to do it,
regardless of whether an alarm is present or not.

The trick is to have a FAKE phone line and a burglar alarm that will
alarm when the fake phone line is cut.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Rudy

When we built our last home, I ran the phoneline, where it came out of the
ground, thru a 1" black "gas" pipe, up from the concrete slab and into the
wall of the garage. I had the installer put the Interface box inside the
garage instead of on an outside wall. There was no sign of any phone
components outside.

Not a matter of being paranoid, just having twists that a burglar would
be hard to anticipate.

Claudia

A break in the phone line is an automatic alarm - no questions asked.

As a jewelry store owner, know more about alarms than one should ever need
to know. ADT is a known evil, but reliable. They look to make a dime
anytime they can!
Totus Tuus
Claudia Satori

Charles Spitzer

"Mike" wrote in message
Very useful information.
What are zones?

Mike

groups of alarms. bedrooms might be one zone, garage another,
den/kitchen/dining room another, etc.