Brian McKechnie

I wanted to get my main line upgraded to at least 3/4". The utility co. came
out dug a hole and checked the line. They said that it was a fairly new 1/2"
copper line and they would not recommend replacing it. They also said the
line had nothing to do with any of my problems (leaking, pressure, etc.) and
that it was internal problems.

I still plan to get the line upgraded but not until next summer when I have
to dig anyway to seal foundation cracks at the front of my house. For the
time being I have to get a new shut-off installed (if I touch the current
shut-off pieces fall off and I would not dare even try to turn it).

B. McKechnie

From: osspam (Joe Bobst)

y main water line (1/2" copper pipe) comes in through the bottom of my
basement wall and bends/slopes outward from the wall about two feet then
connects to the main shut-off and water meter (all on the floor).I need

replace the main shut-off because it is rusted and leaking.

You actually have two problems, and the worst one is your miserable 1/2"

main
water line. Given that, I'd call in a plumber and have the wretched

problem
line replaced with a minimum 3/4" copper, preferably 1" copper. The job

will
include new valves whatever, to give you a far better water service.

IMHO,
this
would be money well spent. Good luck.

Joe

I question the accuracy of that 1/2" as a main water line. Here in NY they

used
to be 1 & 1/2 and then dropped fdown to 1" when pressures increased and
distribution systems improved, and then since the 60's they're all 3/4"

unless
you paid extra.
Every residential meter I've seen is called a 5/8ths meter.

Never saw a 1/2" service.