Michael A. Covington

"w_tom" wrote in message
om...
Unervoltage - also known as a brownout - does not damage electronics.
Unfortunately too many take what they learned about motors and
expolate that to knowledge about electronics. One must first learn
basic concept before making assumptions such as low voltage will
damage a computer.

The Intel specs are quite bluntly clear about this. AC mains
voltage can drop so low that incandescent bulbs are at less than 40%
intensity. Even at that low voltage, a computer with a full load of
peripherals must power up and run normally. Where is the damage? It
only exists in a world where people don't learn simple technologies
nor read manufacturer numerical specs.

Intel doesn't make PC power supplies. Sometimes we don't know *who* makes
them. I wouldn't put it past them to have something that would fail (or at
least blow a fuse) when subjected to undervoltage.

After all, undervoltage requires the switching power supply to draw *more*
current (as it gets less voltage).