Steven D. Russell

Hello Ern,

That chap would be me... :-) Several years ago I published an article on
using the Kelton Centre Saver and then later published my technique for
using the Kelton on low power lathes. I refer to the technique as "Fluid
Pulsed" to indicate the smooth, fluid pulses of the blade to accommodate for
low power motors. I developed the technique because I was frequently asked
to demonstrate use of the Kelton Centre Saver, on small 1HP lathes (My
studio lathe features a 3HP motor).

If anyone would like a copy of the original article, as well as the low
power technique, please send me an email. I will have a new and updated
article in the English "Woodturning" magazine in the next few months that
profiles my long-term test results and techniques for using the Kelton
Centre Saver, The Oneway Easy Core and the Woodcut Bowl Saver systems.

The article will include my latest techniques for squeezing the most out of
these tools, with large and small lathe motors. I will also show some nifty
modifications you can make you really make these puppies sing... Take care
and all the best to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell² Volume #1 CD ROM * Available for
Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM/DVD Video * Available Soon

On 8/18/04 12:14 AM, in article
, "Ern Reeders"
wrote:

McNaughton system (med. size) is more versatile, but there are a couple of
wrinkles...

power - can be done with some care on a 1 hp machine; see the posts from the
ingenious guy on this list, apologies - name forgotten - who worked out a
kind of pulsing system

clearance between top of banjo and lathe centre - some lathes don't have
enough, so contact the McNaughton importer/dealer and check

Ern

"Alan Van Art" wrote in message
I was trying to decide which coring system to get. Being that I have a Jet
JWL-1236 and am fairly new to it, I was having some trouble deciding. I'm
looking at the McNaughton System, and the Woodcut Bowl Saver. After

reading
some of this group's archives, I've found that perhaps my lathe is a bit
underpowered for the McNaughton System. So, leaning toward the Woodcut

Bowl
Saver, I have a few questions for those who have one, and hopefully, those
who also own the same lathe as I. I'd like to hear some comments about the
Bowlsaver's use on underpowered lathes. Can I expect it to work well with

my
Jet, or is this a pipe dream that I would be able to use ANY of this type
tool on my lathe? Also, I'm a bit confused from the Bowlsaver's website, I
can't decide what comes in the kit. Is it just one size tool (for a single
size core), or is it a complete set like the McNaughton System? Also, to
simplify my ordering process, if I decide to go that way, which size tool
post does my lathe have?

---