Andy Hall

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 13:29:22 +0000 (UTC), "Charles Middleton"
wrote:

Sorry,,, another question....

I understand that the stone resin shower trays are very heavy. The position
of where I want my shower will mean that I need to drill holes through the
joists (estimated around 3 of them) to get the waste pipe through.

Will the drilled joists with what I believe to be 1.5 inch plumbing be
strong enough to support the tray?

This could be a bad idea. The waste plumbing for a shower tray is
either 32 or 40mm so I would check. Also you have to have a
reasonable slope for the water to run away. Drilling holes of this
size in a floor joist can be a bad idea because of the weakening
effect - I would seek professional advice on that.

Also, from Googling I understand that I need to mount the tray on a mortar
base. What I thought I would do is replace the current MDF floor boards with
a suitable hard wood that I can tile on top of.

Generally 18mm WBP ply (commonly available) is a good choice.

I presume then I just put my mortar mix on top of my new boards and set the
resin tray into that.

My question is do I just put a flat layer of mortar on the floor or at
strategic points?

You need a mortar base for the whole thing. This is to take out
unevennesses in the finish of the underside so that the load is spread
evenly. The manufacturer's instructions will normally stipulate it
and void the warranty if you don't.

Will the mortar make the shower tray higher than the tiles?

It would do. I would suggest you put the tray in place and tile up
to it. For other bathroom fittings like toilet and pedestal basic
etc. then tile underneath - it's easier and better.

I presume I just scrape away the excess around the outside edge of the tray
to make a neat finish?

Sorry for the beginners questions but I know nothing about this at all! I'm
determined to learn and do this myself rather than get a plumber in - famous
last words!

CM.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl