Mary Fisher

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Mary Fisher wrote:
It needs to be strong enough to support the weight of the car on a
jack.

No it doesn't. Why jack a car when you have a pit? And where do you put
jacks under a car?

Like I say, you've not done much serious stuff.;-)

You have no idea what I've done.

You generally lift one end of a car with a trolley jack, so it goes in the
middle. Most cars are provided with a pad on the 'chassis' for this.

And if the pit is long enough to access most of the underside, there will
be times when you need to lift the car or parts of it with a jack - with
the pit under it. ;-)

That means hefty timbers. And usually lots of them. Indeed, such a
pain to put back that most just leave the pit open.

How do you know that most leave a pit open?

You do have a tendency to generalise without evidence.

The garage I had with a pit I shared with three other blokes. The one next
door also was used by several. The pits were almost always left open.

So that was, um, shall we say twenty people?

So that was 'most' in a population of - a few thousand - with pits?

Humping old oily chunks of sleepers wasn't too popular a job.

Sleepers aren't the only fruit.