John Rumm

IMM wrote:

I don't accept that. If say the government stated that all appliances must
be super efficient and 90% met them, then according to you, the criteria
must be moved so only a small %age get an A. Strange logic indeed.If 90%
meet the standard in education or whatever then 90% are good.

I think you are mising the point. The makers of the appliances wish to
sell more of them. Energy use is one sales tool thay have at their
disposal. When only a few met the "A" standard - those few would make a
big show of the fact so as to get differntiation in the marketplace. Now
many can reach the standard, the makers need another way of making their
products stand out from the crowd. A+ etc is the way they do it.

If however the government stated that all appliances should reach a
particular "standard", but the standards testing body then (for whatever
reason) kept lowering the actual standard they measure against, it would
appear more appliances could reach the required "standard" that was in
actual fact the case. This I am sure even you would accept would be a
cause for concern.

--
Cheers,

John.