Clif

Citizens arrest applies to any crime, misdemeanor or felony as long as the
citizen is willing to see it through, cases in point :

A delivery driver ran me and my wife off the road, misdemeanor because no
physical damage was done, arrested by me after getting license plate,
investigating, and finally arresting

A drunk driver, arrested by me, because when I called it in the cops said
since they didnt see they couldnt pull him unless he was driving funny,
nevermind he knocked over a mailbox, but since I was the one who saw it,
only I could prove it with my word, arrested by me, convicted

Assisting an officer who was pushed down by a "bystander" because his
brother was being arrested, cop didnt see it, but guess what, I did, ok the
cop got to arrest that one :-)

Point being, anyone can have someone arrested on *ANY* charge provided they
are willing to see it through

Clif

**NOT A COP, TEMPER NOT GOOD ENOUG**

"George" george@least wrote in message
"Citizens' Arrest" applies only to a felony in most states. Retail fraud
(Shoplifting) is a misdemeanor until a specified value is passed. That's
why most stores take the hit rather than the risk.

"Clif" wrote in message
news

"George" george@least wrote in message
No, there is NOT a way of restraining someone who wants to walk away

except
to restrain them by applying greater and opposite force.

Being a former security officer, I can tell you there is more than one

way
someone, unfortunately it generally takes physical force to do it. I

can
also tell you that depending on the state, firm you work for, local

laws,
and store, that there are times when you are NOT ALLOWED BY LAW to touch

person unless you are willing to personally "citizens arrest" that
individual and then take full reprecussion if that person is found

innocent
of charges. Furthermore if you do hold that person against their will

YOU
can be charged with False Imprisonment/holding someone against their

will.