George

"Citizens' Arrest" applies only to a felony in most states. Retail fraud
(Shoplifting) is a misdemeanor until a specified value is passed. That's
why most stores take the hit rather than the risk.

"Clif" wrote in message
news

"George" george@least wrote in message
No, there is NOT a way of restraining someone who wants to walk away

except
to restrain them by applying greater and opposite force.

Being a former security officer, I can tell you there is more than one way
someone, unfortunately it generally takes physical force to do it. I can
also tell you that depending on the state, firm you work for, local laws,
and store, that there are times when you are NOT ALLOWED BY LAW to touch a
person unless you are willing to personally "citizens arrest" that
individual and then take full reprecussion if that person is found

innocent
of charges. Furthermore if you do hold that person against their will YOU
can be charged with False Imprisonment/holding someone against their will.