Tony Bryer

In article , Imm wrote:
I read on the Teletext that some minister was slagging elitist
people for ribbing the A levels because lots of people passed them.
They can't accept that there are many brainy people about these
days. Very true.

But the point - for A-levels and appliance energy rating labels - is
that once you reach a stage where (say) 25% of ratings are 'A' it
becomes far less meaningful, denoting better than average rather than
exceptional.

So with appliances you then have to have A+ and A++ grades to
discriminate and universities start setting their own aptitude tests
to sort out the A grade people from one another. I know that given a
chance politicians would promise an educational system where everyone
gets better than average marks but the reality is that only 10% of
people are in the top 10%. Giving A grades to a much larger number
just devalues the achievement those of any class who have got really
good marks.