kony

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:10:38 +0100, Franky
wrote:

Is it safe to use WD40 as a switch (or potentiometer) cleaner on
circuit boards and in electronic equipment?

Not really, there is nothing particularly good/appropriate about
using it. It will leave oily film behind that dissolves the
grease in moving parts (which should stay in those parts) and
will attract dust.

I know that you can get the proper aerosol spray cans of switch
cleaner but if I find myself without one of those then can I use
WD40?

Generally a pot will clean itself good enough if you just turn it
back and forth a few times, unless the spring-metal contacts's
tension has been reduced though wear. If that's the case it's
"sometimes" possible to gently pry open the pot and (re)bend
contacts back out, but it's really a last-ditch effort if you
can't find another pot or need immediate fix.

Personally I would guess it is not OK as I figure there is always a
thin layer of oil but several people I have spoken to say that they
use WD40 all the time.

Any views on this?

Why would anyone want to use a degreaser that leaves behind a
residue of it's own? It may work a bit but mostly if that pot
had decades-old hardened grease, not for parts that were
regularly used. WD40 may help with mechanical function of the
pot but electrical contact should be worse over time.