Bob Mannix

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 10:37:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

In article ,
Jerry Built wrote:
How many repair businesses do you see with an inspection pit? Not
many (any?). Why do they prefer (have?) to spend money on lifts
that cost lots of money, need safety certificates, and are an on-
going maintenance cost? It is because pits are dangerous.

It's also a PITA having to climb in and out of them, if it's your job.

What you do is drive the car over, leaving about a foot of space, then
climb down into the pit using the ladder provided. Once in the pit you
can push the car backwards or forwards as required. Obviously this is
only applicable on level ground. However, I don't think I have ever
seen a pit that was built on a slope.

Pardon me for butting in on a private argument )

1. Businesses use hoists because they are more cost effective, even though
they might be more expensive, not because they are less "dangerous". They
are adjustable for height so different sized mechanics can work comfortably.
The ambient light levels are naturally higher under a hoist. They are always
going to get tools etc and (as has been said) getting in and out is a PITA.
You can move right out to the edge of the car and beyond with a hoist, which
you can't with a pit. Pits are a bugger with a three wheeler (sorry,
couldn't resist that one). Modern business premises are built on concrete
rafts with no basement - pits would add enormously to the expense. Pits are
difficult to keep clean compared with a flat floor. Gas welding in a pit is
a little inadvisable, if only because ou have inadequate access to the gas
cylinders.

2. Domestic garages are not (in the main) suitable for hoists (as in whole
car lifts, not things for lifting engines). Axle stands are fine - if used
properly the car will not "rock off them". A pit would be more convenient
(sometimes) if you do a lot of work under a car, given that you can't have a
hoist but, given the expense of installation, the cost and effort of
providing a secure cover, it must be arguable whether it would be worth
putting one in. I would use one if I had one but I wouldn't put one in
specially.

Can't see there's much to argue about!

--
Bob Mannix