Mike Mitchell

On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 16:09:00 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
On Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:12:47 +0100, ":::Jerry::::"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
On 10 Aug 2004 01:15:28 -0700, (adder) wrote:

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

Also consider a ramp - easier (and probably cheaper) to construct.
Much better access.

Can you tell me how? Would need one heck of a run up!
I've often thought about making a metal ramp out of a couple of steel
girders type things but then with a big jack under the shallow end to
get he car up level. Not sure that'd be safer than a pit though!!

Exactly! That's why I would trust a pit over anything else, since a
hoist is, of course, out of the question (unless I won the lottery!).

Just about anything is safer than a pit you mean (certainly in the DIY
sector), inspection pits have many hazards which is one reason why many
workshop designs go to great lengths to avoid the use of pits.

I'm sorry to be so brutally frank, but this is utter rubbish.

And I'll be utterly frank, you are a total idiot who know sod all if you
think pits are safer than the alternatives, have you ever seen a fire in a
pit cause by a petrol leak else ware in the vicinity, have you ever seen the
injury that can be cause by someone failing into a pit, have you ever seen
the damage cause when something like a car fails into a pit, there are
problems cause by the vehicle being over a pit rather than jacked or
otherwise supported off the ground with the wheel free - the list could go
on.

Pits are dangerous, ask the H&S authority, one day you'll get a clue -
hopefully before it's to late...

Hey, it's my turn to be frank! You're exaggerating the dangers, hyping
the problems and frightening the horses! I have known and loved pits
all my life and have never come across any situation like you
describe. But axle stands, jacks, half-bricks, lumps of wood, and all
the other weird and wonderful paraphernalia people stick under half a
ton of metal to kill themselves with are orders of magnitude more
dangerous than any pit. Trust me, I know what I'm talking about. You
don't.

MM