Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Mike Mitchell wrote:
Just about anything is safer than a pit you mean (certainly in the DIY
sector), inspection pits have many hazards which is one reason why many
workshop designs go to great lengths to avoid the use of pits.

I'm sorry to be so brutally frank, but this is utter rubbish.#

It's not. For a start, they can be difficult to get in and out of without
risk of injury. They collect all sorts of rubbish on the bottom and aren't
that easy to clean out. So they may be slippery, etc. And if wet, can be
more of a hazard when using electrical tools, etc. They also collect some
inflammable fumes which are heavier than air. Then, of course, there's the
danger of falling in one when it's not covered up properly when not in use.

The one commercial garage I know which still uses them has a problem with
height, so can't have a conventional lift. They dug down an access
corridor at the back of both their pits so you get to them via normal
steps away from a vehicles using the pits, and of course made them much
easier to keep clean, etc.

I did have a garage with a pit once. It was, of course, useful, but the
car never seemed to be in the right place for the bits you had to access.
And getting the tools etc you'd forgotten was a pain too.

So unless they're very much larger than the average - ie longer than the
car so you get easy access to either end, and to get in and out, they
might just be more trouble than they're worth.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.