Andy Hall

On 15 Aug 2004 15:22:26 -0700, (steve) wrote:

With reference to recent threads mostly about power tools and the
price
verses value issues that always seem to arise I thought I would put
down a
few words and it isn't pro or anti any one person just a few
observations in
general

The constant things in these threads is, is there a need to go for the
best
as in specs or best as in value for money

The answer is there isn't one simple answer

No there isn't.

If specs were the be all and end all then why do Makita/Dewalt still
sell
9.6 volt tools when there are higher spec'd 24 volt ones around. Why
do they
make different rated tools in each voltage band, why do some come with
1.3
ah batts when 3.3 ah batts are available

Because for some tools, 9.6v may be enough. For example, I have a
Makita angle driver which is highly geared. This does not need to
turn rapidly but does need good torque, so 9.6v through a gear box is
a suitable approach.

If all you do Diy wise is the odd shelf or putting up hanging basket
brackets than a 300 quid plus Makita cordless isn't the tool for you.
That's
more like a job for a 20 quid powerdevil from Argos hell its will even
probably come with a selection of wall plugs ,drills and screws for
you to
do the jobs with! That doesn't mean that the mak can't do the job it
just
not the most sensible purchase in that instance

If that is all it is then I would agree. However, DIY goes way
beyond that and it is not long before the Argos thing won't do a good
enough job.

If you have a 10' by 10' lawn in the back garden you don't buy a sit
on
lawnmower

If you have to polyfiller a few holes in the plaster before you paint
then
you don't need a random orbit or belt sander

If you have to cut up a few battens for a shelf in an alcove then a
sliding
compound mitre saw isn't needed

Conversely going on price

If you are building a kitchen extension a power devil drill wont last
long

Cutting an acre of lawn isn't a job for a flymo

If you are going to have to sand down a whole house worth of doors
skirtings
etc you aint going to do it with a sanding block

If you are going to be putting down a hardwood floor with wide boards
you
are not going to use a 30 quid mitre saw from b+q

If drilling a hole in a wall for a wall plug then a power devil is
going to be
easier than doing it with a handdrill, an 800 watt drill will do it
quicker
than a 400 watt one , a challenge sds drill will do it quicker than a
800
watt, and an under £80 jcb, bosch etc is an lot easier to use than a
challenge, and a top of the range dewalt /Makita will again be lighter
and easier to use

Does than mean if you don't own a dewalt/Makita SDS that you can't
drill
holes in walls?

I suppose it comes down to why you DIY

and the quality of work that you would like to achieve.

Some people do it to save money get the job done as simply and cheaply
as possible, and some do it themselves so that they can have a real
top notch job done with the highest spec'd items. and every variation
inbetween. It doesnt make one approach better or worse than another
it's just a different approach the one the suits that persons needs or
wallet at the time.

This is one point. If you take the labour cost saved, it will fund
an excellent complement of good quality tools.

I have a performance power 1/4" router and have for many years, has it
fallen
apart no, can it trim 3/8" from the bottom of a hardwood door yes, ok
I may
have to take more passes then a 1/2" trend but then its was a fraction
of the
price, it certain mortised out for the hinges a hell of a lot quicker
than doing it with a chisel, would I like a 1/2" inch trend yes for
sure who
wouldn't but until I need one I'll keep the PP one

If you were doing much more than this, you would become very
frustrated with it.

On the opposite side I have a 30 quid 12v cordless drill that now
isn't up to the jobs I would like to do with it so am looking around
for something beefier

For wood chisels I have several good ones that take a good keen edge
and a
few from poundland. I use the ones from poundland for rough work and
doing
things where I wouldn't risk a good one does it make the poundland
ones that will not hold an edge crap no , does it make the better
ones to highly
specified no, you use the tool that is appropriate for the job.

Try some good chisels some time.

For example, I have a couple of Record planes and some Lie-Nielsens.

The difference is chalk and cheese, but I wouldn't use the
Lie-Nielsens on rough old timber.

Well that's my tuppence worth

Steve

I know this post has been posted before had problems since switching
to broadband with newservers and on checking google found the posts
couldnt be seen

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl