Mark D. Zacharias

Nice to hear that Philips ever made quality equipment.

I wouldn't buy their U.S. marketed product on a bet.

Mark Z.

"Per-Åke Andersson" wrote in message
Per Stromgren wrote:
Old FM radios never die, they just fade away...

I have owned and used quite a number of ordinary table top (or
portable) radios in my life. All of them tend to go bad in the same
way after some 10 years or so: they do not "hold the station" and
distort from mis-tuning. You try to adjust the tuning on them every
day, although they have been tuned to your local station for a number
of years without a problem. The audio section typically works fine, as
I can conclude from the ones that has a line input. I usually throw
them away and buy new ones, but I would like to know what age do to
them. My radios all have had pre-selected tuning of the variable
resistor type. My current Philips kitchen radio is a 1991 model that
is on its way to the city dump...

Anyone knows what typically happens to (ordinary) FM radios with age?

Would I have better luck with a digitally tuned device?

Per.

OLD FM-radios just got better ( because new ones going worse).
Dont think its because the new ones are from far away( from Asia), but
the constuction of the electronic circuits is bad (read cheap).
Dont know what happened to your Philips.Perhaps its not your Philips but
increased radio noise in your neighbourhood. Or the radiostation

decreasing
there output power (power cost).
What type of Philips radio is it ?
(I have schematic diagram of three types from late 60 to early 80th.
Or try to ask at usenet "swnet.teknik.elektronik" )

Now a little bit "swedish".
I am owner of at least 5 Philips "table top" FM-radios type Philetta
from late
60-s early 70-th. All are pretuned (or "semi-pretuned"), made in
Norrkoping Sweden.
One of them I am using daily in 30-years now. Thats quality !
Have a look at a few of them here under "transistorapparater 1960-talet"
or under
"Radioapparater" to the left.
http://samlaren.se-swed.net/
Power and frequency of swedish radio stations he
http://www.teracom.se

Try to keep that old Philips going Per ,because the DAB-radios are
coming (I think).

/Per-Ake
NPR-listener

--