knob

Prof. Harry Paratestis wrote:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 03:37:10 GMT, "Darryl Moore"
wrote:

I've got this wild hair of an idea to construct a 24" or larger bandsaw, by
using Bicycle tires (big mountain bike type)
I've run across a few bikes in thrift stores and the such for under $20
buck.
I'm wondering if I can utilize the two tires along with the treads and inner
tube to construct a housing(steel) where I can use it in a bandsaw
fashion???? I could even use the sprocket chain and such to provide a means
to electrically power the wheel- surely it won't be this easy, with the
alignment and guides and stuff,but the basics seem pretty sound to me at
this point... Just think I can probably end up with a Bandsaw that has a 26"
throat working capacity for under $100 bucks by welding bike parts and
scraps...mmmmm - I only plan to do light wood working and aluminum cutting
with it... IS THIS A FEASIBLE IDEA??!

Save your time and effort and possibly consider a good used one for
$200 that WILL last you for a long time or untill you sell it .

I think building one is a great idea but I'm going to buy one
because I need it now. You may find that the bicycle wheels/bearings
won't last with the tensions required by the blades.