Bruce L. Bergman

Default 110v vs. 220v for welder

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 00:30:45 -0700, Derek wrote:

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 21:22:34 -0500, "mongke"
wrote:

Hi all

Finally I got hold of an arc welder. It has of course wiring for both 110v
and 220v. Now there is some advantage to use one or the other? I can get
up to 50 amps for 110v. I have also 208v 3 wire 3 phase. Can one get
(almost) 220v from there? I assume not as it would be two phases and not
one phase + neutral.

Any advice thanked in advance.

The 220 Volts (in houses in N. America) is achieved by hooking up two
110 Volt feeds that are "out of phase". So when the one is plus 110V,
the other is at minus 110V, hence a potential difference of 220V.
However, the second feed is connected to the Neutral side of the plug,
not the live side!!!!

I have a German buzz box hooked up like this in my garage. It's
designed to run at 50 Hertz at 220, but is fed 220 at 60 Hertz. That
extra 10 Hertz sure gets it buzzing! Foolishly, I hooked it up
through a regular wall outlet above my welder, with a sign warning
that it was a 220V supply. A few years ago, my wife was outside and
needed to plug in the baby monitor ...... guess which one she chose!!

/Please/ tell me that after that accident you removed that mis-wired
120V receptacle, ran right out and got a proper 220V receptacle for
the wall (and a matching cord cap for the welder) so someone couldn't
do that again...

People can get killed from dangerous shortcuts like that.

-- Bruce --
Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545