Derek

Default 110v vs. 220v for welder

On 11 Aug 2004 10:14:36 -0700, (alderotes) wrote:

Derek wrote in message
I have a German buzz box hooked up like this in my garage. It's
designed to run at 50 Hertz at 220, but is fed 220 at 60 Hertz. That
extra 10 Hertz sure gets it buzzing! Foolishly, I hooked it up
through a regular wall outlet above my welder, with a sign warning
that it was a 220V supply. A few years ago, my wife was outside and
needed to plug in the baby monitor ...... guess which one she chose!!

Change the plug today! Why kill the next poor fellow who buys your
house, or your wife, or your kid?

Actually, the plug in question was changed that same week, and I was
sheepishly sent off to replace the baby monitor. Lesson learnt!

Coming from a country where every outlet in the house is 220V, from
chordless phones to the wife's cake mixer goble up 220, I was a bit
blase' about it then, not anymore.

On a lighter note, us men have abused our wive's ovens, irons, hair
dryers etc. for various projects. In a similar vein, my wife has
detroyed a fine wood chisel, using it as a screw driver, and used my
tin snips for trimming shrubs. There must be a hundred stories out
there?????