larry g

Default putting feet on mill?

Rick
After looking at the pictures it looks like you have one mount on already.
Your mounts look to be functionally the same as the barrymount feet. When I
originally wrote I pictured in my mind the 2 by's being under the mount
holes. Do you have enough room to get the mounts under the mill and the
bolts started? If so then you should be mostly home. If necessary can you
bang the 2 by's to get clearance to start the mount bolts into the mount?
lg
no neat sig line
"Rick" wrote in message

"larry g" wrote in message
Rick
Do the feet you have look like these;
http://www.mjvail.com/barrymount/barrypage3.htm
If so then you use the 1.25" threaded stud to set the height of the

machine
and coarse level. The 5/8" bolt screws into the 'hat' on the mount and
expands the mount to do the final leveling. Take the 5/8" bolt and

grind
the end of it till it is flat or slightly convex and grease it well

before
installing it in the foot. If you don't grind and grease then the bolt

may
gall to the mount, experience speaking here. Do not expand the foot

more
that ~3/8" as it may separate. The 5/8" bolt must be tight to the

bottom of
the mount or it is not correct and may move/settle a bit.
The mfg site is http://www.barrycontrols.com/ and your looking for

leveling
mount information. I'm guessing that you have LM5 mounts or equivalent

from
another mfg.

As far as raising the mill, use the 1.25" studs. Don't they screw in

from
the top? Raise the mill on the front end by screwing the studs into the
base, grease 'um good, and onto the 2 by. When the front is off of the

2 by
then shim up under the base behind the studs, back off the studs to

release
the 2 by and install the mounts on the front. Now raise the front

pretty
high so that you can get a spacer/pivot under the base, near the back,

lower
the front so that it rocks over to the front lifting the back and remove

the
rear 2 by and install the rear mounts. Use all 4 feet to raise the

machine
off the pivot. Set to height with the studs, and level with the mounts.
lg
no neat sig line

Thanks Larry,

I uploaded some pics of the feet to the metalworking.com dropbox.

Here is a closeup of the 1.25" stud (I really haven't measured it, just
eyeballing):
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/shizfoot1.JPG

Here is a closeup of a foot pad and a footpad taken appart, and also the

1.25"
stud:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/shizfoot2.JPG

The 5/8" bolt in that pic was from my junkbox...I don't know where the

original
bolts are. It does seem as if the 5/8" bolt presses down on the metal

plate on
top of the rubber pad...perhaps expanding it like you said???

Here is a shot of one side of the mill, showing it unhappy resting on

wood:
http://www.metalworking.com/dropbox/shizside.JPG

Poor mill...it really wants some shoes.

I am going to try your grease and go idea tommorow, along with a large

stack of
shims....should take me oh, say 4 hours of turning (not much travel on

those
1.25" studs. I tried a test lift of the mill with a solid steel 8 foot
prybar...Mill 1, prybar 0. Damn big mill....sigh.

Rick