Darth Ai

Default central heating circuit diagrams

Fill us in more and we will talk you though a system.

The current system is a very simple vented system. The boiler is a Rayburn
gas range cooker. The primary circuit heats the cylinder which is placed
about 3 metres vertically above it by gravity alone. A 't' on the flow side
of the primary circuit leads to a pump which circulates the central heating
system and the return also 't's into the return side of the primary circuit.
I should add this is all in a typical north london, georgean terrace house
which is 3 storeys.

My plan is to raise the hot water cylinder from the room above the boiler on
the 1st flow to a position directly above it on the 2nd floor. I'm fairly
certain that the additional distance will mean that relying on natural
circulation of the primary circuit alone will not heat the hot water tank
sufficiently, therefore I'm assuming I will have to pump the primary and
therefore install a 'Y' type circuit (which I am also assuming will be the
easiest/simplest circuit for me to install as a DIYer).

The only diagram I've so far found to work from is this one:

http://www.gasman.fsbusiness.co.uk/images/yppic.jpg

and I wanted to know if this is a simplified schematic or if I can actually
rely on this diagram alone to design my system. I recall on one similar
system I saw some kind of bypass (not too sure where) and some way to
isolate the central heating circuit entirely by moving a lever on the valve
so that in the summer the central heating circuit was entirely out of the
loop. Also, are there any other "bleed" vallves I need to insert in the
circuit other than at the top of the primary circuit?

Given the fact that I'm raising the tank I can actually take advantage of a
lot of existing pipework which is why the 'Y' system appeals. I also do not
need separate zones etc. Looking at the diagrams the 'Y' circuit seems to be
the simplest scheme.

Does any of this make sense and can you make any further
recommendations?????

TIA

Darth