IMM

Default De Walt Tools

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:13:11 +0100, "IMM" wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On 11 Aug 2004 05:06:47 -0700, (Kevin) wrote:

What are people'e opinions of De Walt tools? My right angle drill
packed up 1 day inside the 1 year warrenty period, thank god. I took
it to the service agents who suggested that DeWalt were rubbish and I
would have been better off buying something else.
For a drill to seriously overheat within a year of purchase seems to
suggest something amiss, especially as this was a right angle drill
and hardly got much use anyway.

Kevin

Generally I've had good results with their drills and screwdrivers,
not with a biscuit jointer which had a design fault.

Personally for drills I like my Makita rechargable angle and normal
drills. Then I have a large Bosch SDS which is pretty good.

BTW, don't be hoodwinked by warranty periods. They are a convenience
for the retailer and manufacturer only and sometimes used as a
marketing tool. If you have paid for a DeWalt or other branded
tool and used it as specified, then it is reasonable to push statutory
rights.

You jest of course. A one year guarantee
packs up after 2 years and they
will totally disown you. A 3 year guarantee
packs up after 2.5 years and
they either fix, replace or money back.

I never jest about things like this.

I have successfully pursued issues like
this with retailers by pointing out to them
the statutory situation and making it quite clear
that I will pursue them in the courts if I need to do so.

So each time something breaks down outside the guarantee you go to lawyer.
Please get in the real world. Imagine, we would have lawyers on every street
corner. "The kettle has packed up Dear". "OK I'll just pop across the
street to the lawyers to do some suing, be back in a jiff". ...2 hours
later...."Is the kettle fixed Dear, I'm gasping for a cuppa"? "No, not for
another 6 months as the lawyers is starting the court proceedings".

If a power tool is about 4 years old and needs
repair, a Makita or DeWalt repair
will be just as much as a new one.

This is not true in my experience.

Look at the current threads someone here ditched one because repair was so
expensive. I know guys who ditch Bosch tools because of the same. May as
well get a 3 year no quibble guarantee PP Pro.

This begs the question whether it is
worth buying high priced tools at all,
and using them only for DIY is
ludicrous.

It doesn't at all.

I does.

With a good degree of consistency, that comes from
the major globally branded manufacturers.

DeWalt is pants, to give one of your sarf Lahdan words. Many here say the
same thing, and that is a global brand. Kress is far better, yet costs less,
and is full pro, no PP stuff.

One pays extra for that
and I choose to do so.

You pay for their marketing and hype you mean. Many telecom companies
undercut BT, yet use BT lines. BT can't undercut them because they spend
billions on national advertising, the little boys don't, undercut and
provide the same service even on BT lines. Big name does not equal big
reliability.