IMM

Default De Walt Tools

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On 11 Aug 2004 05:06:47 -0700, (Kevin) wrote:

What are people'e opinions of De Walt tools? My right angle drill
packed up 1 day inside the 1 year warrenty period, thank god. I took
it to the service agents who suggested that DeWalt were rubbish and I
would have been better off buying something else.
For a drill to seriously overheat within a year of purchase seems to
suggest something amiss, especially as this was a right angle drill
and hardly got much use anyway.

Kevin

Generally I've had good results with their drills and screwdrivers,
not with a biscuit jointer which had a design fault.

Personally for drills I like my Makita rechargable angle and normal
drills. Then I have a large Bosch SDS which is pretty good.

BTW, don't be hoodwinked by warranty periods. They are a convenience
for the retailer and manufacturer only and sometimes used as a
marketing tool. If you have paid for a DeWalt or other branded
tool and used it as specified, then it is reasonable to push statutory
rights.

You jest of course. A one year guarantee packs up after 2 years and they
will totally disown you. A 3 year guarantee packs up after 2.5 years and
they either fix, replace or money back.

I wouldn't expect to pay for a repair for three years at
least and would push the point. Remember that if you are spending
north of £100, always use a credit card, then the card company is on
the hook as well.

If a power tool is about 4 years old and needs rep[air, a Makita or DeWalt
will be just as much as a new one. This begs the question whether it is
worth buying high priced tools at all, and using them only for DIY is
ludicrous.