Default Clutch master cylinder rebuild kits?

On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 18:34:39 -0400, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

Shifting without the clutch on a tranny WITH syncros is a good way to end up
with a tranny WITHOUT syncros. Unless you are perfect every time, the
syncros will jam and produce major wear on the blocker rings.

OTOH, I've driven a few miles without a clutch several times in an
emergency. You want to be very careful. The last time was in traffic. I
tried a quick test to see if the engine would start in first. When I found
that it would (geared starter, light car), I just drove it to the garage in
stop and go traffic and had them put in a clutch cable (Honda Civic) to
replace the one that had snapped. It's really not hard, but you need to be
very gentle with your shifts. As the engine approaches the speed where it
will be when the gears are meshed, gently ease up against the syncro. When
the engine passes the right speed and the match is right, the syncro blocker
ring will let the collar pass, and it will drop in. Whatever you do, don't
force it in. That's a sure way to cause some damage.

It helps to have driven a few crash boxes. The worst I ever had to drive
was a '42 Chevy school bus that had a box full of sliding gears. Not even
one constant mesh gear, except for top, which was straight through. Like a
whole tranmission of unsyncronized first gears. What a bitch to drive, but
it developed your skills.

IF you've ever mastered a crashbox, with a clutch, shifting a syncro
without the clutch is a cinch. I drove a 1943 powerwagon for 2 years
(towtruck) and very seldom declutched to shift.
My Mini and Vauxhaul Firenza, 53 Dodge, 57 Fargo, 67 Peugot, and '49
VW shifted without benefit of the clutch most of the time.