Grant P. Beagles

Default 0000 steel wool = what grade sandpaper?

Agreed! Steel wool takes a sheen down nicely. When I was wet sanding, I was
looking for more gloss (but not the plastic look!).

Grant

David wrote:

Grant, I wasn't saying that sandpaper shouldn't be used.
What I meant by "absolutely not" is that the results are
different that using pads. I didn't mean that one process
is "inferior" to the other.

David

Grant P. Beagles wrote:
I have used wet or dry sandpaper with mineral spirits or water to wet sand my
final coat. The results are great!

Grant

David wrote:

absolutely not! I'm partial to the use of pads after the
last coat has cured. I wouldn't use fine grit sandpaper to
obtain the final sheen. I stop at either gray or white pads.

Sandpaper is appropriate for pre finishing and inter coat
sanding. I avoid steel wool due to my use of WB finishes.

David

David

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

"David" wrote in message

check out the chart: it says 400-600 grit.

But does it give the same finish? I never thought of them being
interchangeable. When is one more appropriate than the other.

Aside from using SOS pads to clean whitewalls, I'm not knowledgeable about
using steel wool.
Ed