G&M

Default FULL BUILDING REVEALS NASTY SUPRISES - WANT NEGOTIATION - ADVICE NEEDED

"David Phillip" wrote in message
om...
I would appreciate your advice/expertise concerning the following:

I'm a first time buyer, buying a property (Victorian End-of terrace 3
bedroom / 2 stories house) in London (Leyton - East London).

I saw the house for £250k - put down the full asking price, had the
full building survey done which revealed some nasty suprises. The full
building report raised the issue of current cracking/old cracking on
the extension part of the Victorian property and I required a
structual engineer.

Vendor is putting pressure on me to exchange contracts - gave me
ultimatum for end Aug-04. I wrote letter requiring more time, vendor
wrote back saying I had more time however he would grant me more time
provided that I give him a copy of the full strucutral which is needed
for the property.

It's your money. If the vendor is laying down conditions you are unhappy
with I would threaten to walk away. He may just accept this but in the
current declining market for properties at the price you mention he'd be
silly to do so I think.

Dont' want to provide structural report for free, neither do I want to
pay extra money for a structural report and loose more money.

i'm not happy with the issues with the current state of the house,
want to negotiate through agency (not met vendor) and am proposing
calling a meeting to discuss a negotiation of reducing the price
BEFORE I undertake any further reports/estimate quotes.

Good idea. You may find that the vendor believes the house is worth more
than £250k anyway and is only selling at that price because of stamp duty
issues, in which case he will probably refuse to lower the price come what
may. Of course a house is only worth what people will pay for it but that
doesn't seem to enter some people's heads. Also bear in mind that even once
you'vd done all the improvements the stamp duty limit will ensure the house
is still only worth £250k for some time to come.

ISSUES
Rising dampness
* (kitchen) - rear wall, revealed areas with rising dampness problems

Needs checking. Fairly easy to fix.

* (cellar) - "high damp meter readings" were recorded

Cellars always are. If you want a dry cellar you need to tank it properly
with a drainage pump.

* (all elevations) - evidence of dampness found

What does this add ?

Structure
Movement to the rear elevations and side elevation to the back
addition has shows existing and current cracking 'require strucutral
engineer'

Current cracking is worrying.

Woodworm
(Cellar) woodworm found to attack structural timbers supporting the
house.

This is not a £10k job anymore.

Cellar Requires attention - flooding evidence.

Windows
* Windows: wood condition rotting taking effect requires replacing
* Windows require replacing and plaster work around windows are "loose
and uncertain".
* Drip grooves or "throatings" are required to external cills so as to
prevent water seeping back beneath and soaking the brickwork in the
wall adjacent, detaching the plasterwork within.

Electrical System
Incoming electrical works at low level (cellar), "thought to be fairly
crude" with loose and old wiring etc. "needs special attention".

Condensation
Condensation in roof needs to be addressed.

Chimney breast/s
Chimney breast removed, require support to be added and additional
ventilation.

Is your heart set on this house ? With all this lot I'd look elsewhere.