RSMEINER

Default Low-voltage house wiring from hell

Randy,

My parents used to own a house with that system and I ended up being
the person to keep it running.

First: I am not a licensed electrician. I would like to think that any
electrician worth his salt could help you. It really is a simple
system.

Second: My advice is worth what you are paying and describes the
system I had which could be different then your system. If you are
uncomfortable with any of this call a pro!

I don't know how much you understand about low voltage systems so bear
with me. The system uses a relay to control the ac power. So the
device you see in the box is a relay. Out of one end is probably three
small gauge wires(common, off, on) which are connected to the wall
switchs. When you press the switch in the on position, the switch
causes two of the wires (on, common) to form a circuit which energizes
the circuit and causes the relay to close thus turning the power on to
the light. Pressing the switch in the off position cause two of the
wires (common, off) to form a circuit causing the relay to open
shutting the power off. The circuit is only active when you press it.
The relay stays in a latched state until the switched is press again.

If the light does not turn off:

1) Look for a stuck switch (consider labeling all the switches in the
house (yes a hell of a job) until you know what they all do). If a
switch is stuck then the on (or off) circuit is always energizes. Bear
in mind that with this system a switch could be anywhere.

2) Push the switch into the off position and hold it there. Does the
light go off then come back on when you let go? If yes could be a bad
relay or switch.

3) Locate the controlling relay (If the relay is working you will
probally hear a click when the swich is pressed to turn the light on
or off. Again consider labeling all relays). Count the number of low
voltage cables attached. This will tell you the number of switches
that control the light. Did you find them all and check them.
Disconnect all the low voltages wires at the relay in question. Do not
touch the line voltage wires. With all the low voltage wire removed,
you should have three unattached small (22, 24 awg) wires left
unconnected coming out the round cylinder (which protrudes out the
main electrical box. By try and error, identify the common wire (which
supples the low voltage). By touching and releasing either of the
other wires to the common wire the light should turn off or on. If the
light does not still on or off after breaking contact (ie all three
wires not touching) then you need a new relay. They are not cheap. If
everything works then a switch is stuck or bad or the low voltage
wiring has a short (unlikely).

4) The old non solid-state relay had a tendency to fail. I have been
told that the new ones are solid state and should last longer.

5) I wonder: should the hot side (the ac side) of the box have a
cover? I hope so.

With a little bit of effort, you can trouble shoot this system. I will
leave up to you to decide if you are comfortable replacing the relay.

If you have questions let me know, Free free to email me.

Philip

Thanks Philip. Will probably be emailing you.

Randy
http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner