Chuck

Default Portable Generator once more..

Opps I think I may have done a reply by email..

Ok,, do any openly state if they have closely regulated voltage?

Thanks..
Chuck

, 11 Aug 2004 21:04:10 GMT, "toller" wrote:

You have it all wrong. Generators produce a real sine wave. However...
Inexpensive generators are usually not voltage regulated. There are two
consequences of this; they can wildly fluctuate voltage as the load changes,
and they are usually very noisy (both is waveform and sound.) Either one
can damage sensitive devices.
Six years ago we had a major wind storm that left a few hundred thousand
people without power for up to a week. I know of 5 furnaces that were burnt
out by unregulated generators, but there were thousands of unregulated
generators powering furnaces. So your odds are good, but the price for
being one of the losers is pretty high. Do you feel lucky? Personally I
prefer a good generator; they are safer, quieter, and generally use less
gas. Those are all good things that justify their price.