Tracey

Default Low-voltage house wiring from hell

"FurPaw" wrote in message
Besides relays going bad, another problem we had was with switches that
stuck. There is a flat switch that has a tendency to "hang" one of the
corners when pressed in, and this caused the whole system to lock in its
current state (some lights on, some off). The fix was easy - go around
pressing switches until you find the one that's stuck and press it again
to release the hung-up corner. And then replace the switch with a
different type!

Yes, it is easy to fix this once you realize what the problem is. The first
time it happens and you don't know that there is a stuck switch is enough to
drive you batty. It happened here only a few weeks after we moved into this
house, and we absolutely panicked. Now when it happens (not a lot, but
maybe a couple times a year) we know what to do.

One thing I miss: Some of the lights were wired up to be controlled by
five or six different switches, and there was a master control panel in
one bedroom that was hooked to nearly every light in the house.

I do like this feature. We have two master panels in our house: one in the
master bedroom and one in the kitchen, it is handy to walk in from outside
and be able to switch on most all the lights in the house.