ameijers

Default Low-voltage house wiring from hell

"RSMEINER" wrote in message
We recently inherited a house and are in the process of fixing up a house

so
it can be sold. We knew a few light switches weren't working so I started
to try and track it down. Some lights were always on, some lights

wouldn't
come on. This is an old low-voltage system by Touch-Plate.

Finally found the problem in a closet in the basement.
View at your own risk.
These pictures could cause you to go blind or cause insanity.

Hope it's a one-story house with open ceilings in the basement. If I was
touring the open house and saw that mess, I'd run away screaming. You won't
like this, but my recommendation is to NOT pound money down a rathole trying
to fix that rat's nest. From the more recent-looking wirenuts, several
others have already tried. Bite the bullet, and pay an electrician to rip
out all that low voltage mess, and either replace it with a modern
low-voltage system, or (probably cheaper) snake new wires to all the switch
locations, and replace with conventional wiring.

aem sends...