SQLit

Default Low-voltage house wiring from hell

"RSMEINER" wrote in message
We recently inherited a house and are in the process of fixing up a house

so
it can be sold. We knew a few light switches weren't working so I started
to try and track it down. Some lights were always on, some lights

wouldn't
come on. This is an old low-voltage system by Touch-Plate.

Finally found the problem in a closet in the basement.
View at your own risk.
These pictures could cause you to go blind or cause insanity.

Randy
http://members.aol.com/rsmeiner

Looks pretty common to me. At least you have a panel. I have a friend that
they just put the relays in the attic willy nilly and it IS an bear to
understand.

Low voltage starts out at the transformer and then goes to the switches. As
you close the switch you close the coil and then the 120v power is turned
on.

Get an VOM meter and start out at panel. Do you have voltage on both sides
of the transformer. Then try with a jumper wire to from the transformer to
the relay that is not functioning. If it changes state then your problem is
out at the switch. You do not need both a hot and a negative at the
switches. I usually wire up the coils to the positive side of the
transformer and switch the negative side. I have gotten over 1000 feet doing
this.

To bad you so far away. I would like a challenge like this.