Robert Swinney

Default 110v vs. 220v for welder

An advantage of 220 is that you can use lighter gauge wire to feed the
outlet your welder is plugged into. This is hardly worth changing if the
110v circuit is of sufficient wireing size. Consult the welder's owner's
manual. It should give some information re. sizing of branch circuit.
Bob Swinney
"mongke" wrote in message
Hi all

Finally I got hold of an arc welder. It has of course wiring for both

110v
and 220v. Now there is some advantage to use one or the other? I can get
up to 50 amps for 110v. I have also 208v 3 wire 3 phase. Can one get
(almost) 220v from there? I assume not as it would be two phases and not
one phase + neutral.

Any advice thanked in advance.

--

Regards,