Steven D. Russell

Default Barrel Trimmer/ Pen Mill

Hello Larry,

The original post did not make this point clear on the jig, but I would
still favour a pen mill for dressing the ends of the tube. IMHO, it leaves a
better surface ready for mounting the metal components. YMMV. Take care and
all the best to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell² Volume #1 CD ROM * Available for
Shipment
Volume #2 CD ROM/DVD Video * Available Soon

On 8/10/04 7:32 PM, in article
, "Larry Gottlieb"
wrote:

"Steven D. Russell" wrote in message

Matt: Steven Russell has great qualifications, but unfortunately he
doesn't know how a sanding jig works.

When you place the blank with the tube glued in on a rod that is 90
degrees to the sanding disc, the end is sanded at 90 degrees to the
tube, not to the side of the blank. Any irregularity in the shape of
the blank or the angle of the drilled hole is eliminated.

An advantage that I like is that the entire end is flat and the pen
can be turned with the center joint flush.

Larry G.