Guy LaRochelle

Default Vise jaw problem?

Bob,

Yes, I realize what you are saying that pretty vise jaws are not necessary.
But the question here is do you think that laminating a 3/8" thick piece on
the top edge of each jaw decrease their capabilites or weaken them?
Regards. -Guy

"Robert Galloway" wrote in message
We're talking vise jaws here? Ain't necessary that this be art work.
Nice if it can be. I'd start over from scratch and try to get the best
vise jaws. To hell with what they look like. OMO

bob g.

Guy LaRochelle wrote:

Hi guys,

I just screwed up and I am kind of ticked off. What a moron I am and I

don't
even know how I made the mistake. I bought a large front vise from Lee
Valley to put on my workbench. I cut the front and rear jaws, I used the
template that came with the vise to bore all my holes for the guide rods

etc
and I go to put it on my workbench and my holes are drilled in the wrong
place........arrrrgh. I am now short about 1/4" on the top edge of both

my
jaws so they are not flush with the top of my bench. Does anyone see any
reason why I couldn't laminate a 1/4" edge to the top edge of both jaws

or
would that create a weak spot? It would be a shame to start all over

since
it was the nicest pieces of birch I could find in my shop. Regards. -Guy