Terry

Default Digging a pit

"Owain" wrote in message
"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| By "on a domestic dwelling" do you mean the garage is attached
| to the dwelling ? If so building control will want to be involved.
| But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
| interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit?

Building control, not planning. An inspection pit presents issues of
drainage/sump and flammable liquids or gases building up in the pit as

well
as the obvious ones of trip / fall hazard.

I can just see the outcome to an illegal pit!
Headline:
"Homeowner ordered to get rid of hole"!
"Authorities find does not meet hole standards and is environmentally
unsuitable".
"Claims that hole is 'nothing'; merely a gap in the firmament".
"Hole contains nothing but air; how can it be 'got rid of'?".
"Case to go to appeal, next year".
"Outcome uncertain; little precedent in law about 'holes', empty or
otherwise."
:-)